Monday, April 25, 2011

Can't Touch This...

Since March I have been teaching tap at The Pointe Academy in Highland, UT. On my second day my boss asked me if I wanted to choreograph a piece for their show. WHAT FUN! I knew just the song I wanted to use. The only problem was I only had four weeks until the performance and for one of them the studio was closed down for spring break.

Let's just say it was the craziest/stressful three weeks in dance hisory.

I was told before I started teaching that the group was an advanced level. Most of them were. For four of them, though, it was their first year of tap dancing, EVER!

After 4.75 hours of teaching a dance that was WAY to hard for half of them show day was here. During the dress rehearsal their head director took out three people and one poor girl sprained her ankle while on pointe (ballet). 11 down to 7.

So, here is the finished project. I will admit that I was super nervous about being labeled as an awful tap choreographer/teacher. I was ready to be fired on the stop for having an atrocious dance. I was ready to go through all the programs and black out my name.

I thought it was really fun though. The kids did a great job of hamming it up. My kind of tap.

I am super proud of them.

ps...seeing as I still have yet to get paid by the studio I am claiming this as my only evidence of having the job. This video and my program of the concert.

ENJOY!



3 comments:

The Ward Family said...

Loved the choreography. Good job Jamie. Loved skinny jeans guy.....he really put some personality in it!!!

sammysangel said...

looks like they did an amazing job! im proud of you jamie

Amy said...

From the reaction of the audience I'd say you have nothing to worry about! Great job, Jamie! I'm working on some choreography with my cousin right now for her senior recital. Choregraphing is NO easy feat. (no pun intented)