Thursday, May 23, 2013

Life as a nurse

Recently I have had some neat/funny/sweet moments at the hospital

Moment 1:
I had a patient wearing a BMW shirt. I asked him if he drove a beemer. He did. We talked about our love of BMWs. I had to give up my patient in the afternoon so I only took care of him for about 5 hours. Later on in the day his wife came up to me and asked if I wanted to take a ride in his car (M roadster). I was super swamped so I asked if we could do it the next day. The next day she  kept finding me at the nurses station asking if we were on for a ride. At the end of the day we went out to the car and she asked, "Do you want to drive?" WHAT!!!! Who lets a girl you just met drive your $20,000 car?
I didn't end up driving because it is a stick shift and this little girl doesn't know how to drive a stick shift. We did take a nice trip down Bangerter with the top down going a little bit faster than we probably should've.
It was so glorious. It made me miss by Bad Boy Blue
Not only did she offer me to drive the car, but she also said, "I wish I had some sons to set you up with."
 
Moment 2
As a nurse you end up assisting your patients to the bathroom, a lot. Guess how many of them wash their hands after they finish in the bathroom? Of the hundreds of people I have assisted back and forth to the bathroom I have only seen 2 wash their hands in the sink after they flush the toilet. I will give credit to one patient who used wet wipes on her hands after voiding. So maybe three people have washed their hands. ONLY 3! Do they think they are immune to any germs by going in a bathroom toilet? Whatever they are thinking, it is gross and makes me want to wash my hands before, after, and during touching anything in your room.



1 comment:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this when I first read it, but I've been thinking about the hand washing thing ever since. I don't believe it!!! Maybe you make people feel awkward....so for example, they feel okay to have you help them use the bathroom, but by that point the awkwardness is so much that they can't wash their hands because they just need to get out of there. Or maybe you block the sink so they don't know how to ask you to move out of the way. ....