Tuesday, March 24, 2009

NO!!! Don't tell me that!

MSN ran this story today...

AMERICA'S WORST LUNCHES-AND WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT INSTEAD

Usually I don't bother looking at these nutrition articles because they just blabber on about how fast food tears up your insides and leaves your pancreas crying for an explanation of why you mistreated it. Jamie's conclusion...fast-food is disgusting! Don't come back saying "Well you LOVE IN-N-OUT more than your shoes" (which is correct depending on which shoes you are referring to), but my dear IN-N-OUT is made from the freshest ingredients. Here's some food quality proof. Other fast-food joints, however, love to add as much preservatives into their burgers so they will last on the shelf for years. I've also heard directly from workers that the oil that fries are soaked and browned in doesn't get changed. It'd be like going to NYC and getting a Hot Dog from a street stand at 9pm...they don't call them Dirty Water Dogs for nothing.
Anyway, in the article the restaurant CHIPOTLE caught my eye. Man do I love their steak burritos, they can keep me full for days on end because they are so large. Oh and their chips are so delicious as well. To my dismay, guess what they said was so bad for you:

CHIPOTLE
-13” tortilla with steak, black beans, rice, cheese, sour cream and lettuce
-955 calories
-38 g fat (18 g saturated)
-1,600 mg sodium

Calorie equivalent: Like eating 37 Hershey’s Kisses! (WHAT!?! Everyone knows Hershey's is gross...why not relate it to M&Ms?)

The good news about this tortilla is that it contains 56 grams of protein, but that's hardly worth the outrageous calorie and carbohydrate load (oh but I agree to disagree) —with 94 grams of carbs, you've already covered a third of your recommended daily intake, plus you're taking in nearly a day's worth of sodium and saturated fat. Downsize to drop pounds.

Eat this instead:
Three hard tacos with steak, pinto beans, sour cream and lettuce
-615 calories
-24 g fat (11 g saturated)
-710 mg sodium

(Hard tacos?...if i want to make my esophagus bleed internally I'd just swallow razor blades)

(Another hint: When it comes to Chipotle chips, just say "no." They add an outrageous 570 calories and 73 extra grams of carbs.)

Dang it, not the chips too...now I'm going to feel extremely guilty whenever I stuff my face with Chipotle. I'll just have to make up for the large load by eating cheese cubes and peas the rest of the day.

2 comments:

sammysangel said...

what about the soft tacos? an i hardly get a burrito.. only when i need lunch/dinner then next day. an youve gotta luv those chips

Anonymous said...

I must say I kind of agree with the article. Another factor to take in is also portion. I don't think the burrito is really bad for you because it does have things that are healthy. I think they were just talking about one sitting because Americans are fat and want to have everything in one sitting.

As for hard tacos... who doesn't like hard tacos! Seriously!