Friday, December 10, 2010

Sleeping...

If you have been in my room during the frigid winter times you know how ridiculously cold it gets in my room. I don't know whether its the fact that I live on the bottom floor with the garage below me, that there is no insulation in my walls, or the 2 windows in my room being paper thin. The problem is that it isn't just in my room that its cold. My apartment pays over $140 in power and gas utilities during the winter. Thanks a lot Provo.

I use to have the hardest time sleeping because my bed would get so cold. I once found icicles at the foot of my bed one night. No, not really. My mom suggested getting a heated mattress pad to warm up the bed. What a miracle worker! I would throw the switch on HIGH, get ready for bed, and it would be nice and toasty by the time I was ready to jump in bed.

picture

So, my bed is warmer at night, but my room still got to below freezing temperatures during the day and night. I do have a space heater but that just makes the power bill more expensive. My Mom (isn't she so smart?) suggested putting up insulated window treatments to block out the cold that comes in through the window. I skipped going to the fabric store and put up these:

Yes, my room is clean Mom.

Blankets! What a brilliant idea! My room is now 15 degrees warmer than before. Here's the new issue though. Notice its hard to distinguish what time of day it is. Yes, there is a little sliver of light at the top of the right window, but that doesn't shine in my eyes when I am laying in bed. Because of these amazing blankets I now sleep till the afternoon hours of the day. I don't sleep through class or anything, but on the days I don't have class I sleep through my alarm and wake up just in time for lunch.

It's not like I am going to sleep at 2 or 4 in the morning, I just sleep so well in the dark. Take this morning for example. I was in my toasty warm bed by 12:30am with plans to wake up at 8am to go to the gym before I disappeared in my books for the rest of the day. My eyes popped open at 12:11pm with all hopes of the gym out the window.

I can't complain. I sleep much warmer, and much longer. Since my brain is getting so much rest that means I am going to rock my finals, right? Let's hope those two correlate.

2 comments:

Jourdan said...

I totally just bought that mattress pad last month! I hate paying so much for heat when I'm sleeping. Best. Purchase. Ever.

The Ward Family said...

Bring the window measurements with you next week. We will make the insulated window coverings. It will look much better than blankets too.
You rock those finals!!!!!